Sunday, September 7, 2014

Blog post #2

Mr. Dancealot......
I believe the central message of this video is to show how learning a certain subject may actually need other ways of teaching. The author of this video achieved his conclusion of this by adding little pop-ups that were comical and made you think about what was going on. I personally wouldn't have passed that class without being able to physically get up and do it.


What does it mean to teach in the 21st century?
Roberts believes teaching means the use of technology. He also believes learning requires being self taught.
A.) Roberts believes that anyone can find anything; anywhere, anytime and any place.
1.)electronics... i.e. cellphones, laptops, ipods, etc.
2.)Online resources... i.e. google, wikipedia, etc.
3.)social media... i.e. facebook, twitter, myspace, etc.

B.) Roberts believes teaching is asking questions.
1.) What does it mean to teach?
2.) Ask questions.
3.) How would we know how to do something if we never ask why?


I personally agree with Roberts theory that students can get information from anywhere and anything. I believe that it will shorten the time to learn certain criteria by allowing self-enhancement to occur.


In the video "The Networked Student" I had many reactions.
My first reaction was that this was going to be a very boring video. I was honestly shocked at how much I learned from the video. I didn't realize everything that could be done through networking. At first I thought that the teacher wouldn't be an actual teacher. I was pleasantly surprised to realize that she was teaching just in a different way then I had imagined. I am beginning to realize that teaching in the 21st century is going to be more of guiding students in a better direction to gather information on their own rather than spoon feeding them information.

Davis' thesis is the idea that students learn differently and that empowering students will help them learn to learn. I completely agree with her arguments. I really enjoyed her argument about how teachers shouldn't go into teaching "knowing" everything. I agree because teachers should be students too. In order to teach you have to be able to learn.

Who's ahead in the learning race?
I am an undergraduate and very much believe that elementary students are ahead in the learning race. I believe it is easier to teach the younger generations about technology than it is to teach older students about technology.

Flipping the classroom
Flipping a classroom is new to me. I had never even heard of this until watching this video. I like the idea of flipping the classroom because some students may have a hard time sitting in a classroom listening because of other students. For me as a prospective teacher I can see using this technique in my classroom in order to further the education of m students. I can see this actually making my classes jump ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment